Thursday, January 24, 2008


Patience is one virtue that I must be lacking. But you would too after you hear about my last 48 hours...

It all started on Monday night when I was eating dinner, I started having contractions. They were about 5 minutes apart and coming on strong. I took a shower after dinner to freshen up in case we ended up in the hospital and sure enough, the contractions stopped just as quick as they started. I should've known then that I was in for a rough next couple days.

I woke up on Tuesday and had some indications that my amniotic fluid might be leaking. So I called the doctors office and was instructed to go to Labor & Delivery at the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital I had started having contractions about every 3-5 minutes. With in the hour my contractions were every 3 minutes and getting awfully uncomfortable. All of the tests that were run indicated no infection, no amniotic fluid leak, but a positive fFN which tells you if you will deliver in the next 2 weeks. So I was moved from triage to a delivery room and the excitement began.

I know that I am only 34 weeks along but it has been a long haul and I am so ready to have "Boris" join our family. That being said, I will continue;

Over the next 10 hours my contractions were still going strong, getting painful, I was 3 cm dilated, and my mom had booked a plane flight for the next morning to come meet her new grandson. The excitement was hitting the roof. The Dr. told Jeff not to leave the hospital and we all knew that a baby was going to be born in the next couple hours. I signed consent forms for treatment, epidurals, and circumcisions. I was ready!!!
At 12:30am I called the nurse in because I felt a "change" (which I will spare you the details of that "change"). She in turn called in the Dr. who checked me and informed me that I was still 3cm, no change, and that my labor has stopped. STOPPED???? What do you mean it stopped, my contractions were so strong that I was about to ask for an epidural. I was convinced that I was at least 5-6cm and going strong. After all, I had been in active labor for 12hours now. You can imagine my disappointment. She had me take a sleeping pill to get some rest. Well, when I woke up 4 hours later my contractions had ceased to exist. Zip, Zilch, Nada! Labor had finished and I didn't have the baby.

The Dr. ordered a sonogram to be done that day to make sure my amniotic fluid was still normal, and to check the size of the baby. My amniotic fluid level was normal and I evidently have a big beautiful 5lb 8oz baby. The plan was for me to be moved to 2South where I spent 5 weeks of my life so I could be "obsverved". After a lot of pleading and begging the Nurse Practitioner convinced the Dr. to send me home.

Get ready for it...

I went home and I am OFF OF BEDREST! Well, technically my discharge papers say modified bed rest, but the nurse practitioner said "Just don't go shopping at the mall." So I am home, frustrated, and am not holding my baby. At least I have my mom to keep me company, oh, and clean the house. LOL!

I know what you are thinking...34 weeks is still early, but come on people I am ready. As a matter of fact my mom went to Babies R Us and bought out the store. I now have everything that I need, should the baby decide to actually come out one of these times I go into labor. Keep your fingers and toes crossed and pray that "Boris" continues to grow and be healthy, but maybe not wait until 40 weeks to be born. Mommy can only take but so many trips to the hospital.


Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney
Thinking of you! Wishing you a "comfortable" labor as you bring your baby into this world! I will keep checking yours and Amanda's blog!

Natalie said...

YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE MOTHER!!!!!!! You poor thing!!! Claire and I praying everyday that baby "Boris" comes soon - happy and healthy..OF COURSE!!!!!!! Try to stay comfortable and we will keep all of our fingers and toes crossed for you!

Lynda said...

Hi Courtney,
I just got back from visiting Amy for 4 days. She had to go back to work, and I got to keep little Cooper! (He's 2 mo. old now.) I just checked your blog and was surprised to learn you had been in labor twice while I was gone! I'm so glad that test told you that the baby will be born within 2 weeks! I know you want him sooner, but God will send him when he's ready! Hey, that's a great picture of you and your mom! I'm so happy she's there with you now! I hope she can stay until the baby is born!
Love, Lynda