Sunday, August 2, 2009

MOVE OVER DIAN FOSSEY...

Okay, just admit that you may not have known who Dian Fossey is. Don't you remember the movie Gorillas in the Mist? Well, today we went to the zoo. It was raining on and off so we knew that there wasn't going to be too many people there. I must say that this was the most amazing trip to the zoo that I have ever witnessed. I was even brought to tears at one point. I am not kidding people. I don't know if the rain perked up all of the animals or what, but they were all out and ready to put on a show.

It started when we walked into the zoo and overheard a man speaking over at the elephant exhibit. It just so happened that it was the very first interactive elephant show ever and they were doing it for us and asking for feedback. So it was a pretty long show.
Photobucket

We came across the polar bear exhibit which is one of Tucker's favorites. And look at how cute the polar bear is. He almost looks like you could snuggle with him. Well, we better not.
Photobucket

Then after consulting our handy dandy zoo map, we realized that it was Giraffe feeding time. And for $1.00 you can feed the giraffe a cracker. We thought for sure that Carter was too young to feed the giraffes, but surprisingly he wasn't. And you should've seen both of the boys faces as the giraffes tongue came out of its mouth to take the cracker from them.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

After the giraffe feeding we were off to see the tigers which we heard were swimming. As soon as we got over to them, they started playing and ran all over the place playing like kittens. By the time I got out my camera, they actually stood by the ledge and I swear to you they were actually posing for pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then it was off to the Gorilla Exhibit. Now, those who know me know that the Gorillas are my absolute favorite!!! I have always been enamored with these beautiful creatures. They are so human and it really showed today.

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT HAVE MY NIKON TODAY!!! THESE PICTURES WERE COMPLETELY MESSED UP WITH MY OLD POINT AND SHOOT. IT'S GOOD TO HAVE HANDY, BUT THE PICTURES INSIDE ARE HORRIBLE!!!

I was hanging out with Tucker taking this picture...
Photobucket

when I see the female gorilla make a beeline for the next window over. I hear Jeff say "Courtney-get OVER here!" So Tucker and I ran over to find the most touching site ever.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The female gorilla had ran over to see Carter who was perched in the window watching the gorillas. She would not leave his side. They were kissing each other through the window and she was stroking the glass by his face. It was so moving. I actually had tears in my eyes. He was loving it. He was giggling and playing with her. If he moved to the other side of the window, so did she. The duo drew quite a crowd. It was AMAZING!!!

Though they pail in comparison to the gorillas, the sea lions were also out and about today. It happened to be feeding time. So they were all over the place.
Photobucket

Photobucket


1 comment:

Natalie said...

Ok...the gorillas are my favorite too!! I actually got a tear in my eye when I saw the picture! I AM JEALOUS!!!!!!! Great pics, I just love the zoo!